script tweaks for CC
greetings, scripting friends. i spent this past weekend doing a bunch of code tweaks for my scripts on this site in preparation for After Effects CC.
some techy/under-the-hood details for those interested:
- bumped min version of some scripts to CS5 so i could remove old 31-character truncation of comp/layer names and old workarounds for edittext colors;
- tweaked button/edittext/dropdownlist heights so they’re not so tall in CC (i.e., made them more consistent with controls in native AE panels).
also, some specific tweaks got some updates/fixes:
- rd: Composition Setter now includes the motion blur controls previously in the separate rd: Composition MB Setter script; the latter is no longer available/needed. yeah, sorry it took so long to get these integrated.
- rd: Comp Sheet had some bug fixes for its sliders, which were producing the wrong values.
- rd: Statesman now includes per-character 3D text support (finally!) and Bicubic layer quality (in CC).
- moved the old “labs” scripts out of the labs section.
older script versions are available on each script’s page.
also, CC has this Sync Settings feature that allows you upload/download certain application preferences so you can use preferred settings on different machines. these script updates don’t include that support right now, aside for rd: Picker Switcher (which needed it because of the separated preferences files in CC). would you still want Sync Settings support added for script settings, even if the scripts had to be installed manually? please let me know.
as usual, let me know if these updates broke existing functionality. thanks!
rd: Pre-compose updated for AE CS6
for users of After Effects CS6, if you are noticing that script windows are opening completely white after using the rd: Pre-compose script’s Trim functionality, please update to v0.97.
if you encounter any other issues with CS6, please let me know. thanks!
some script updates
if scripts get minor updates in a forest, will anyone know to download them? or something…
wow, has it been over a year? day job must be keeping me busy. to break the silence, here are some updated scripts i just posted:
- rd_CompSetter (v2.5): individual control over settings. added width, height, and PAR control.
- rd_CompMBSetter (v1.1): in AE CS5 or later, you can control samples per frame and adaptive sample limit.
- rd_ScriptLauncher (v2.5): fixed listbox text color in AE CS5. filtered out script itself from appearing in the list.
now serving on aescripts.com
if you haven’t read/heard on the wire, some of my more popular scripts are now also available on lloyd alvarez’s aescripts.com site as part of its relaunch. you can still download them and others here (for the foreseeable future), but i wanted to make it easier for AE users to “shop” for some of my favorites along with those from other script authors, and lloyd was kind enough to expand the focus of his site.
so why purchase a script from aescripts.com when you can download it here for free? convenience, and to show your support for them. i don’t expect to retire from contributions. in fact, i’m hoping to donate my portion of the proceeds to some of my favorite charities (the leukemia & lymphoma society, american diabetes association, the nature conservancy — ones i already suggest with my rd: Donate script) or those in my local community doing good deeds.
do consider checking out aescripts.com and the quality of its offerings. lloyd’s Immigration script is killer! paul tuersley’s EffectSearch is super-handy, too. these and the other authors have spent a lot of free time developing their scripts, so do consider supporting their efforts.
so where does that leave redefinery.com? no changes right now. i might include more scripts on aescripts.com at some point, but you can still download earlier versions and the more techny scripts here. also, the reference material isn’t going away.
after effects cs4 9.0.2 now available
the 9.0.2 update for after effects cs4 is now available. choose help > updates from within the app. more info at my colleague’s blog.
for mac users of my scripts, the crash on quit when a dockable panel (ScriptUI Panels) script was open at startup or opened during the session has been fixed. the update has lots of other stability improvements for all users.